Amazon RDS Added Support for Second Generation Standard Instances

Amazon Web Services announced General Availability of second-gen Standard instances (M3) in Amazon RDS, making RDS even better with almost 50% more computing power thanks to new hardware architecture (Intel Xeon E5-2670 CPU) and about 6% lower cost.

In my previous post I wrote how did I upgrade db.m1.large to 1000IOPS which resulted single-digit ms MySQL read latency - that was pretty nice surprise. This time I've decided to take advantage of faster CPU and lower cost offered by db.m3.large instance type. I was pretty aware that m3.large instance type is not EBS optimized (only db.m3.xlarge and above is) and was ready for performance drop, luckily it never happened - charts read the same except CPU load which seems to have dropped ~ 10%. Because I had multi-AZ RDS setup, the failover took ~ 30 seconds and upgrade was completed in 8 minutes. Nice.

Amazon RDS Dashboard

My recommendation is to upgrade your db.m1 instance type to db.m3 as soon as you can - not only you will get lower cost, you will benefit from faster CPU and generally newer and more reliable hardware.

Visit original post on AWS blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stubbing and Mocking Static Methods with PHPUnit

Enable HTTP/2 Support in AWS ELB

How To Attach Your EBS volume to multiple EC2 instances